Carrot and mussels soup
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 600 grams carrot
- 1 kilogram small mussel
- 2 dl dry white wine
- 80 grams butter
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- Fresh dill or chervil
- Salt and Pepper
- Clean the mussel under fresh cold water, discard any that won’t shut when lightly tapped. Scrape off the mussel shell and pull out the “beards”.
- Cook the carrots in a small pot with a pinch of salt and just covered with water, until they are tender but still firm. Cooking time will depend of the variety of the carrot used but allow 10 minutes maximum. Strain and keep 0.5dl of cooking water.
- Melt 50gr of butter in a large, deep pan; add the shallot and cook gently without browning; add the mussels and white wine, cover and cook over medium heat, shaking the pan now and then, until the mussels have open. Do not over cook or they will be hard and dry.
- Tip them over a colander and keep the cooking juice (pass it through a sieve),
- Remove mussels from their shell.
- Place the carrots in a pan with 0.5dl of their own water and the mussels cooking jus; bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes; add 30gr of butter, remove from the heat and let it melt.
- Blend until smooth and creamy
- Gently reheat the mussels in the soup, place ¼ of mussels in each plate, cover with 2 ladles of soup, sprinkle some fresh chopped dill.
- Serve immediately